Financial Assistance and Some Schemes
Some of assistance offered by government to cancer patient listed as below-
- Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) – Set up in 1948, the resources from PMNRF are utilized for immediate relief from financial distress caused by natural calamities and treatment of certain diseases including cancer. The utilization of fund is managed by the Prime Minister’s office.
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare – The ministry is offering financial assistance to poor patients under two schemes i.e.-
- Health Minister’s Cancer Patient Fund (HMCPF) within the Rashtriya Arogya Nidhi – Offering financial assistance to poor patients. A fund corpus of Rs. 10 billion was initially set up and put in fixed deposit. Interest accrued on it is utilized towards providing relief to cancer patients.
- Health Minister’s Discretionary Grants (HMDG) – An assistance of a maximum of Rs 50000 is available to poor patient for bearing hospital bills.
- Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) – Only for retired Central Government employees and their dependents. It provides support from the cost of treatment as per rates of Tata Memorial Hospital for Cancer Surgery.
- Railway concession for cancer patient and one bystander – Under this fair, patient get relief in their travel expenses.
- Travel becomes totally free in case of patient.
- Attendant gets also relief as they have to pay only 25% of actual II class fare.
Applicable only for Cancer hospital that is nearest to your hometown station.
- Air concession for cancer patient- Under this patient has to pay 50% of basic fare of normal economy class. Applicable for patient who is resident of India.
- Income Tax relief for cancer patient- Patient get some relief in cost incurred in treatment of certain cancers u/s 80Q of Income Tax Act.
Above are some scheme and financial assistance that are offered by government to poor patient, you can explore these scheme by browsing below link and apply downloading the forms from this link:
Note: Apart from these centrally funded schemes many State Governments and Non Government Organizations (NGO) also provide aid for cancer patients. The readers are advised to visit their respective websites for more information.